Thursday, January 3, 2008

More info...still in Bangkok

Today I had the chance to talk to the former country director for World Vision Mongolia. He was able to give me a better feel of what I should expect and what it is like to live there. Even though a lot of the logistics still remain unknown at this point it is quite comforting to be able to begin constructing a picture of the country and area in my mind. So I found out that I am going to be staying 5 hours out of the capital--Ulaanbaatar at a rural ADP (area development project) and living in that building. I was told that because it is so dry there that you can develop quite a lot of static charge to the point that some people have destroyed their computers! Try explaining that one to your insurance company!
His description of the weather reminded me of nasty street dogs that you see all over Bangkok. He said to respect the weather and it will respect you. If you try to be a hero and be brave it will take you down, but if you understand its strength and your limitations you will be alright. Even venturing into its territory briefly without being equipped or prepared can leave you sick from its swarming attack.
This time of year is when they are eating a lot of fatty food to try and keep warm and so I was advised to be careful as that can be difficult on a digestive system unfamiliar with such a diet. I was glad to know that there would easy access to stores and supplies that I might need--comforting to know that I will not be stranded in the middle of a vast steppe by myself.
As far as transportation goes apparently any and every car is a taxi. Yes, there are the ubiquitous yellow cabs as well but it seems that everyone is willing to give a ride for a bit of extra cash. Interesting.
A challenge that I foresee is that the culture may be very a big contrast to what I am familiar with in Southeast Asia. He told me that they tend to speak their mind, they are very straightforward and if you do not tell them what you are thinking they will take you for granted. He also said they take you for your word: if they ask you if you want something and say 'no,' then that's that! None of this say 'no' three times before you really mean it thing. None of the polite refusal stuff. So it will be transitioning with a mindset that tends to favor indirect towards a very direct culture.
I cannot quite recapture everything that he told me but I just feel a bit more at ease now as the date for departure nears. All for now.

2 comments:

sadarchi yamaguchi said...

i wanna go, i wanna go!!!!! i be like "take me to this place, do it." i be speakin my mind like a mofo up in mongolia. sounds like its gonna be scary cooooold - and you'll have to get nice and plump to prepare. im so glad you wont be buff anymore. pack on the pounds buddio, yur headed for the tundra or whatever. im glad its a different culture, maybe it will finally get you to be decisive and take charge man - im excited for you.

Anonymous said...

I hope this is encouraging to you, but you've had enough experience in a very direct culture that I think you'll transition your mindset pretty quickly and better than you think. Do you think they're more direct than what you've been exposed to?
Man, I never thought a place on earth with static charges like that could be habitable. Well, keep us current--but not like, electrically--with your adjustment, OK? Let me know if you develop any super powers from being around all that static.